Monday 21 May 2007

poetry reading

Setting: an old gold fields pub, a rainy afternoon, latte and poetry readings.
Yes I went to my first poetry reading in years at Chewton yesterday afternoon with a group from my poetry critique circle. It was great to hear the featured poets and also to read two of my poems. I can't believe how nervous I was!

Give me a school audience and I'm not nervous, but adults...

Poetry read aloud is certainly different from poetry read silently from the page. Performance poetry, humorous or poems with a political agenda are more entertaining on a day such as this. And does one introduce the poem? I like to give a brief context, especially if one does not know the poet's work.
But I wonder for myself- have I run out of subject matter for my literary work?

No comments: