Sunday 6 January 2008

Book review

I'm inspired to write a review of a book I borrowed yesterday from the library and completed reading this morning- these days I don't read as quickly as I once did.

'Princess Academy' by Shannon Hale- a junior fiction book- grabbed my attention- not because of the title but because of the silver sticker- Newberry honour book.

I loved Miri- smallest daughter of a quarry worker and her growing awareness of her place in the family, her relationship with Pedder and the linder rock that is the main industry of her isolated village. When the king's priests divine that the future princess will be found in Mount Eskel, the training for the eligible girls in the village begins in earnest. Which girl will the prince choose?

Well written -a fresh perspective on quest and character- loved every tiny petal of it.

No comments: